Google Play Services is a background application that is comprehensive for downloading software and updates from the Google Play Store. If you get an error message when you try to load an app or game, you may need to manually update the Google Play service or clear the cache.
Update Google Play Service
Google Play Services runs in the background on your Android phone and connects your Google account (s) to installed applications via Google Play.
Google Play services let you use applications without having to enter credentials each time you install a new application. It also processes and tracks purchases made through Google Pay to ensure you are getting the correct version of all media (books, apps, movies, etc.) purchased.
Updating Google Play Services is a little different from updating installed applications, but the process is quick.
1. In the phone’s app settings menu, go to Apps (sometimes called Apps & Notifications).
2. Find Google Play services in the list of all apps.
3. If you have an option to update or install, press to do so. Your version of Google Play services is up to date if you don’t see these options.
If you’re having issues with Google Play services that were not fixed by an update, you might need to fix a few issues.There are a few things to try before taking any drastic action.
Installing Google Play Services
Users who want to be absolutely sure they have the latest updates, access a beta version, or try different versions of Google Play Services may want to use a more technical method.
- Useful for application developers or anyone who has a software bug that is preventing Google Play services from updating normally.
- First, you need to know what version of Android you have.
- Go to Settings> Phone info (or just info on some devices) and find the Android version or software information.
- Then you need to check which apps can be installed from unknown sources.
- Go to Settings, then Applications. Find the application that you usually install using your mobile browser or file explorer.
- Scroll down until you see the Advanced section where it should find Install Unknown Apps. Tap on it and check Allow from this source.
Google Play Services connection errors
Google Play Services connection errors can appear as a warning message asking you to connect in order for your applications to work. You will likely notice a problem before you see any warning. Applications may stop responding and you may receive multiple push notifications indicating that the service needs to be reconnected.
You can fix the connection error without contacting Google or your phone manufacturer. Here are some options to review:
- Check your Internet connection: Make sure your connection, whether it is Wi-Fi data or cellular data, is working properly. A bad connection can sometimes cause problems with Google Play services.
Clear cache and data of Google Play services
1. From the phone’s settings menu, go to the Applications section
2. Find Google Play services in the list of all applications.
3. Tap Google Play Services to open the application information screen.
4. Clear the cache by pressing the Clear cache button.
5. To clear the data, touch Manage Space, then select the data you want to delete. You can review the search data stored by each app on your phone or use the Clear All Data button to delete all the data.
Restart the device
From time to time you may need to switch the phone off and on again.
1. Press and hold the power button to display the Power off device option.
2. Press Power off to turn off.
3. Press the power button to turn it back on.
If you’re still having problems, Google has a handy list of additional troubleshooting steps on Google Play, which includes additional tips for managing Google Play services.
What are Google Play services?
Google Play services do not appear if you search for them in the Play Store. It is a background service that provides basic functionality to make sure your apps are running smoothly. With Google Play Services, you don’t have to create new login details for every new app you install.
If you have problems with a particular application, your Google Play services may be out of date. Google Play services will usually update in the background without you having to do anything. However, sometimes you may receive a request to install updates.Tap the notification to go to the app page, then tap Update as you would any other app.
Download Google Play Services APK
Now all you have to do is choose the right version of Google Play Services for you. You can find the latest versions of Google Play services. Then download and install or update the Google Play service on your phone.